POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Python, subprocess, error! : Re: Python, subprocess, error! Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:29:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Python, subprocess, error!
From: clipka
Date: 29 Apr 2016 22:44:31
Message: <57241c0f@news.povray.org>
Am 29.04.2016 um 04:05 schrieb dick balaska:
> Am 2016-04-28 17:37, also sprach clipka:
>> some of the core gizmos of the
>> Windows command prompt (which I do consider part of the OS) still
>> stubbornly refuse to recognize forward slashes as path separators.
>
> Huh, I never considered command.com to be part of the OS.
> (But I would say that it is an important part of the OS, which by
> definition is part of the OS. My brain is broken.)
> Also:
>     C:\Users\dick>dir "/Users/dick/documents" /w
>      Volume in drive C is Windows
>      Volume Serial Number is 30E6-9CD1
>
>      Directory of C:\Users\dick\documents
>
>     [.]
>     [..]
>     audreyad.png

Yup. Many cmd.com (not command.com -- that's an entirely outdated DOS
program, not a Windows program) gizmos are perfectly fine with forward
slashes.

But others aren't. Which is why I've made it a habit to avoid
backslashes in batch files like the devil avoids holy water. Which is
why I've even forgotten by now what the stumbling blocks were. Something
very fundamental, that I do recall. Maybe it was the `for` statement, or
the advanced batch parameter evaluation features like `%~n1`. Something
in that ballpark.

>> But yeah, backslash-only software has become rare. I guess we can thank
>> the internet for that.
>
> The internet takes full credit for that and demeans you for conceiving
> that there could be otherwise.  And you're fat (or skinny).

General increase in cross-platform data exchange might have been
sufficient to achieve that. But the URL format certainly helped.

And yes, I'm skinny indeed ;)

> I see backslashes:  One of the eclipse/tomcat quick fix hints is to add
> C:\\home\\dick\\tomcat\\long\\path
> "Argh! Seriously!?  I have to change that." -- Living half my life on
> Linux, I really refuse to allow \\ in one of my text files.

I perfectly agree there.

> and did I mention I hate backslashes in paths?
> Dick from the internet says they're evil.

Dick's right about me being skinny, so who am I to contradict him on
this one.