POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Smooth swinging camera work : Re: Smooth swinging camera work Server Time
6 May 2024 00:31:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth swinging camera work
From: clipka
Date: 10 Apr 2016 10:38:13
Message: <570a6555$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.04.2016 um 15:00 schrieb Stephen:
> On 4/10/2016 1:37 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> The coordinate system is a static "thing"  It doesn't "do" anything.
>> Look_at just determines what direction the camera is pointing when
>> it's at a
>> given location ("vector").
>
> Just one thing to mention. There are two coordinate systems*, Y up and Z
> up. Depends if you are a mathematician or an engineer. Moray used Z up.
> There is also left hand and right hand versions too.
> One of the reasons I use a modeller I cannot visualise scenes well
> enough to be a true Pover.
>
> * Not counting all the fancy ones like Polar, Plücker, cylindrical etc.

In other words, you refer to cartesian coordinates only.

Well, actually there are only _two_ fundamentally different
3-dimensional cartesian coordinate systems: A right-handed one and a
left-handed, and _infinitely_ many different orientations of those two
coordinate systems, each of which are equally valid from a mathematical
point of view.

So accomodating only for the handedness and a choice of whether Y or Z
is up doesn't quite cut it.