POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
26 Apr 2024 02:12:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Apr 2016 15:37:55
Message: <57017113$1@news.povray.org>
Le 03/04/2016 20:23, Clodo a écrit :
> I write a post on my blog about all my ODS experiments with POV-Ray:
>
> https://www.clodo.it/blog/omni%C2%ADdirectional-stereo-ods-with-pov-ray/
>
> The post contain the latest edition of ODS user_defined camera.

Nice text. Really very cool.

> I hope that can be the final version, and my experiment can be useful to anyone
> as starting point to explore this subject.

You provide the fast setting as quickres.ini... I would have liked:
* also the various scenes for the above illustrations (if anybody want to make them
again), as downloadable links (no need to display them online)
* maybe instead of adding to quickres.ini, another file name ? (such as easyods.ini ?)
(just a suggestion)

> Any of my works can be used as public-domain, for example if POV-Ray team want
> to use as sample in docs or wiki.
>
> I still think that ODS will deserves a C++ user-friendly implementation in
> POV-Ray codebase. A lot of video contents are under development around the
> upcoming VR market.

The best I could do was adding omni_directional_stereo camera to my own fork
(hgpovray).
It does not have the limitation of camera's direction of your text. (as well as right
& up that can be adjusted too).
Did you see it ?

About the vertical modulation, it was not in the original paper.
Is it now a requirement to have some vertical modulation ?
One of the link (Oculus VR Camera) seems to indicate that the modulation (start and
curve) could
be different for nadir and zenith (each its own settings)

Also on the same link, there is the nvidia cube and 3x2 cube map (in addition to
Longitude+latitude projection),
are there any use or interest for them ?
Do they also need a modulation for nadir & zenith ? (seems so, but I always like
contributions)