POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
3 May 2024 05:12:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 9 Mar 2016 08:24:21
Message: <56e02405$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/08/2016 04:56 PM, Clodo wrote:
> The big issue it's the same issue that also have the "Bill P. mesh camera" and
> "Paul Bourke povray 3.6 patch":
> near the polar in Y axis, a spiral effect.
>
> http://www.clodo.it/host/images/42c1548d0620db0c5e54324e6ad6cd23ee86f8fb.png
>
> Tested with two of more popular image/video player for Oculus Headset: Virtual
> Desktop & MaxVR . No differences.

On your modification of source code for this camera - well done!

Interesting to me too is that the green cylinder behind the Y+ character
at the pole in your image is 10m away - much more than the 3.5m the
Google ODS PDF recommends at the poles - and no distortion is apparent
for that shape to my eyes.

Supposing the distortion is in fact out at those distances too, but
given image resolution & typical environments (ground/sky) at larger
distances we often enough won't see it.

The ODS "rule" of >=3.5m open space at the poles is certainly
inconvenient given typical human dimensions and our inside environments.
Light fixture on a ceiling, a patterned throw rug on the floor or
walking through a doorway as problematic examples. :-)

Bill P.