POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
1 May 2024 23:13:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: clipka
Date: 6 Mar 2016 17:14:33
Message: <56dcabc9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.03.2016 um 18:40 schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:

>> Y'all might want to try the latest and greatest POV-Ray development
>> release:
>>
>> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-alpha.8509766%2Bav119
>>

>>  It adds a new function-based user-defined camera:
>
>   Typical POV-Ray developer mindset: why solve an specific usage case
> when you can have it all? :)

Indeed. I really felt that it was high time to add /some/ means of
generating stereoscopic imagery that didn't involve excessive parsing
times (which I think is the biggest drawback of the mesh camera), but
implementing OSD support would have taken a few more days, and would
also have come with the risk of me screwing up the maths.

So I decided to just implement a basic generic solution, and leave the
work and the screwing-up to you guys :P

(No kidding. This /is/ indeed the main reason I've implemented the
user-defined camera just right now.)

An obvious benefit is of course that the implemented mechanism can be
used just as well for arbitrary other camera formats waiting to be
implemented in POV-Ray, including light probe-style angular and cube
mapping, side-by-side stereograms, mercator and other map projections
for your self-made virtual planet, and what-have-you-not.