POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
2 May 2024 03:38:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: Alain
Date: 6 Mar 2016 16:03:50
Message: <56dc9b36$1@news.povray.org>

> There are a lot of VR Headset now in the market.
> Oculus Rift, GearVR, HTC Vive, Google cardboard etc.
> Also YouTube support 360 panoramic.
>
> I understand there are a lot of options about rendering with other raytracing
> software, but i don't find any information about Povray.
>
> The projection model it's called ODS and is full explained in this Google doc:
> https://developers.google.com/cardboard/jump/rendering-ods-content.pdf
>
> I'm trying to render an ODS, 360 3D shot with Povray.
> There are a function inside the above doc that return the viewing ray for a
> given pixel in raytracing,
> but i don't understand how to use it in Povray.
>
> Any advice? Thanks.

I see a problem if anyone tries to prerender an omnidirectional stereo
image: When looking up, or down, not even verticaly, and turning around,
the DIRECTION of the offset need to change. It can be done using real
time, raster line rendering. I highly doubt it's even remotely possible
if the image is to be rendered before hand.
And, what about tilting your head? Tilt your view by any amount, and the
direction of the offset will change.
That's why the Oculus Rift gear need top of the line gaming oriented
computer using behemoth video adapters.

If the image is to be sphericaly mapped, using non-stereo imagery, it
can be done easily without the mesh camera.
Just use:
camera{
  ultra_wide_angle
  location 0