POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation : Re: Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation Server Time
30 Apr 2024 20:54:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation
From: Alain
Date: 4 Mar 2016 18:32:48
Message: <56da1b20@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3Cweb.56d9fbdd155fef445e7df57c0%40news.povray.org%3E/

>> Talking about the data. I don't understand the time stamp. Five second
>> intervals, that's quite slow, is it not? And what are the units of the
>> sensors?

The units used can be totaly arbitrary. They can be in thousanth of an
inch, micrometer, dust grains, mili-picas,... They only need to be self
concistent. All we meed to have, is the possibility to assume that the
data are linear.

> Maybe it's a geologic plate ...  ;)
> Could be they meant milliseconds or something.

That would be my guess also. Mili- or microsecond.

>> The long time interval makes me think that using splines is not the way
>> to go.
>
> Just normalize the time stamp to the interval 0-1 by dividing them all by 490,
> although I don't think the spline is limited by the numbers.

Splines are not limited to any range of values. Those can be negative or
positive and range in the millions if wanted or needed.

In this case, you can multiply clock by 490, or whatever, to get the
same result.