POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation : Re: Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation Server Time
1 May 2024 06:44:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Mar 2016 13:44:51
Message: <56d9d7a3$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/4/2016 5:21 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> OK, so due to the extreme difficulty of employing bicubic_patch objects for
> this,
>
> {issues I've run into are
> - the sometimes extreme disparity between control points and patch surface
> coordinates,
> - Somehow trace does not hit the edge of the patch when a ray is shot straight
> down at the patch in the y direction from far above a control point
> - inability to get accurate min and max extent
> - extremely difficult to determine control points from data points on the curve
> }

One of the problems might be that we do not have calibration data for
the sensors.
I rendered it as triangles in a mesh. The points are not planer. You
could use a statistical formula to make them sit on a plane.

> I've reimagined this whole thing, and of course the first stumbling block I got
> to was:
>
> If I read all the data in from the file, then render the first frame,
> what will happen is that upon rendering the 2nd frame, the data gets read in
> AGAIN, over and over and over.
>
> Any ideas for fixes for this?
> This looks like the ole' Persistence of Data across frames problem.
> "POV needs POD!"

You step through the data using the clock or frame_number variables.

Talking about the data. I don't understand the time stamp. Five second
intervals, that's quite slow, is it not? And what are the units of the
sensors?

The long time interval makes me think that using splines is not the way
to go.

--

Regards
     Stephen