POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation : Re: Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation Server Time
19 Apr 2024 01:11:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation
From: Alain
Date: 26 Feb 2016 11:25:15
Message: <56d07c6b@news.povray.org>

> Hello Stephen and Alain,
>
> thank you very much for your answers, both of them were very helpfull!! I now
> created my plate and defined and array with six elements, in which each array's
> element is a data point (measurement point).
>
> Unfortunately I was still not able to solve the problem completely. I am not
> sure how the animation should be implemented:
> Since the ASCII files, I want to get the data from, contain the measurement data
> registered in seven columns (a sort of timestamp and the six measured vibration
> signals), I thought of using a linear spline curve (the plate vibrates only in
> the z-direction). I would then assign the values in each of the six columns to
> each data point in my mesh. In this way, the vibration values would describe the
> path of the spline curve. Could this actually work? How would the syntax look
> like?
> By assigning a spline curve to each data point I will be trying to animate the
> movement of a point and not an object, is this actually possible?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Regards
> Jorge

If you want to get one frame per data set, you can read them into an
array, then use "frame_number" to get the specefic ones for the current
frame.

If you use splines, then you use the "time stamp" as indices to define
the controle points of the splines. You'll need 6 one dimentional
splines. It looks like this within a given spline:
[Time	Point]

I recomend that you use the natural spline. It gives smooth curves
between your points.

Next, you multiply the clock variable by the largest time stamp value
and use that to "travel" in the splines. The syntax is the same as for
an array, except that you now can use floats instead of only integers.

This allow you to have an animation with a number of frames that may
differ from the number of mesurements.

Alain