POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open souce/syrup : Re: Open souce/syrup Server Time
8 Jul 2024 10:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open souce/syrup
From: Sherry K  Shaw
Date: 26 Feb 2016 01:49:46
Message: <56cff58a$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> Ever thought that it is your taste buds wearing out? After all you are
> getting on a bit, Sherry. :-P

:)  You know, I can almost get myself convinced of that--right up until
I encounter some product that actually tastes right.

Oh, here's another one:  Tomatoes.  A few years back, I managed to keep
a couple of tomato plants alive (in spite of the infamous Missouri
weather).  Whenever I would go outside to play a few rounds of Fetch the
Tennis Ball with Amelia the Wonder Dog, I'd stop at the tiny garden and
water the plants, pull a few weeds, and so forth.  Amelia couldn't
understand why I would waste my time with a bunch of stinky old plants
when there was a perfectly good dog right there to play with.

Then, one day, as the first tomato started getting ripe, something about
it caught her attention.  "Wait a minute, waaaaaait a minute.  It's
beginning to smell like People Food, but it looks...like...a BALL!!!"
After that, gardening became fascinating.  At last, the big day arrived.
  She stared with great intensity (as well as a lot of lip-licking and a
bit of drool) as I picked the first tomato.  Well, it looked really good
to me, too, so I got out my trusty SAK and sliced off a bite.  Oh, yeah,
nice.  So then I sliced off a bite for Amelia.  She said it was
wonderful.  So we sat on the grass and shared that first tomato (and,
throughout that summer, most of the remaining ones as well; very few of
them actually made it as far as the kitchen).

But, as much as she liked those home-grown tomatoes, Amelia Will Not,
Under Any Circumstances, eat a supermarket tomato.  Home-grown tomatoes,
fine.  Farmer's market tomatoes, fine.  Supermarket tomatoes, nuh-uh,
not so much.

Did I mention that she's a DOG?  It strikes me that when someone whose
favorite pastimes are eating, ball-fetching, and eating, and whose
favorite foods include things like sticks, dirt, and sun-dried dead
snakes--when that individual rejects supermarket tomatoes, then they
must have gotten pretty bad.

> That was nicely written and describes exactly how I felt. When I moved
> to an area where all of the butchers were halal. That's what chicken
> tasted like when it was a treat. :-)

Thank you!  (Blushes modestly.)  Yes, I've often heard that the best
meats come from kosher butcher shops (which, I imagine, is pretty much
the same thing, politics aside).  Sadly, I seem to be in the wrong part
of the universe for that sort of place.

>> * Black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika.  And, of course, love.
>>

> And of course the ingredient you will be keeping back. ;-)

Well, you COULD add a dash of onion powder if you like.  And perhaps a
tiny bit of cayenne.  And some--oh, look!  A shiny thing!

> I and a few others still have a few years on you, young lady. :-)

OMG, I've stumbled into a nest of geezers!  ;)

> It is good to see you dropping in again.

Thanks!  FSM willing and the crick don't rise (and the Internet
connection fails to fail, and the house doesn't blow away to Oz, and so
forth), I can hang around a bit.

--Sherry "One Giant Mass of Wrinkles" Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+