POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open souce/syrup : Re: Open souce/syrup Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open souce/syrup
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 22 Feb 2016 12:54:38
Message: <56cb4b5e$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/02/2016 09:48 AM, Stephen wrote:
> You are talking about caffeine supplements, surely?
> Caffeine in tea and coffee is measured in milligrams. You would need up
> to a hundred cups to have a 50% chance of dying.

Yeah, but the artificially purified 100% caffeine stuff? That'll kill
ya. ;-)

Not a lot of people seem to know this, but caffeine is actually an
insecticide. That is why the tea tree manufactures it. To kill insects.

There's a widely-circulated photo on the Internet where they fed spiders
with different drugs to see what would happen to their webs. And
caffeine had the most drastic effect. At which point everybody flips out
like "OMG, we drink this stuff!" But humans aren't the target. The fact
that caffeine has *any* effect on humans at all is mere coincidence;
it's *designed* to incapacitate insects, who have a very different
nervous system to our own. Spiders are a lot more similar to insects
than mammals...