POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Desk Management : Re: Desk Management Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:30:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Desk Management
From: clipka
Date: 30 Jan 2016 10:09:35
Message: <56acd22f@news.povray.org>
Am 30.01.2016 um 14:42 schrieb Stephen:
> On 1/30/2016 12:10 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 30.01.2016 um 09:57 schrieb Kenneth:
>>> It's easier to just throw the keyboard away at the end of the day,
>>> and use a new
>>> one daily. I have 1,732 new keyboards sitting in my closet, awaiting
>>> use...
>>
>> Not really an option in this case -- we're talking about a Logitech G19
>> here. They're not even making them anymore.
>>

> FYI

http://www.amazon.de/Logitech-Gaming-Tastatur-schnurgebunden-deutsches-Tastaturlayout/dp/B001S2W5U2

I had found that one already. Did you have a look at the price for a new
one? EUR 421,68, that's about 320 GBP at the current exchange rate.

> or
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-920-000978-G19-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B001RORKH4

Not an option, as it sure as hell isn't a German one.

But I'm mildly optimistic about the specimen I gave a few sips of coke
to drink. I've gone for the disassemble-cleanse-reassemble approach now.

First of all, a bit to my surprise, the G19 doesn't use fancy individual
switches that the phosphoric acid- and sugar-rich liquid might have
seeped into to avoid detection. Instead, it uses a multi-layered
sandwich structure, at the core of which is a membrane keyboard -- a
transparent one, presumably to facilitate illumination of the key caps,
so that I can say with absolute certainty: No coke has made its way to
the actual key contacts.

Above that sits a shaped mat of thin rubber effect the desired key
travel and pressure point, and atop of that the top cover assembly with
the keycaps mounted safely in a rack, which greatly simplifies
maintenance of this portion of the keyboard. All these components got
their fair share of beverage, and some keys had already become sticky
not only to the touch but also in terms of movement, but they've all
gotten a thorough rinse with soap and warm water and should be perfectly
fine now. (The keycap assembly has also received a thorough shower on
this occasion.)

Below the membrane keyboard is a piece of transparent plastic, obviously
serving as a light guide, and below that a highly reflective white sheet
of whatever; Some coke had managed to creep between these two, but they
also received a good rinse, as did the bottom cover.

The display that sits at the back of the keyboard should also be fine,
as it hasn't received any coke in places where it could have seeped inside.

So the only thing that still worries me is the keyboard electronics. I'm
not sure whether I want to drown that in water just to be sure, or just
be content with having wiped it with a wet cloth and then wiped it dry
again.

Oh, and then of course there's the other thing to be worried about:
Whether I'll be able to reassemble it properly ;)