POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Skyrim : Re: Skyrim Server Time
8 Jul 2024 01:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skyrim
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jan 2016 18:48:39
Message: <56a95757$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 19:54:21 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 1/26/2016 7:13 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:51:55 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>>

>>> About 20 years ago I was on a rig where the OIM had been to the
>>> funeral of the last Doric, of a certain type, speaker.
>>
>> I need to find out from Alistair what it is that he speaks.  He said
>> there's one other person in the town he lives in who speaks it.
>> Fortunately, they get along. :)
>>

> Fit like, ma loon?
> :)

No comprendo. :)

>>> Irish, are you talking about Irish Gaelic?
>>
>> Yes, sorry, I should have been clear on that.
>>

> Yeah, it took me a while to understand what you meant.
> But coming from somewhere that speaks Lowland Scotts/ Ulster Scots. I am
> easily confused. :)

:)

>>> That supriseses me. :-P
>>
>> Which part of it?
>>

> The part where you missed out what your cat is called. :P

Ah - the two in question are Fynn (most people don't have a problem with
that) and Eiyrt (which proves a lot more challenging for most - one vet
tech was so pleased she had it right that we didn't have the heart to
tell her she was actually saying it wrong.)

>> That they're simple names to pronounce?
>>

> Simple if you know how, I would imagine.
> It is like the "ch" sound in loch, I can't understand how some people
> cannot ronounce it. Badness I assume. ;)

Which brings me back to Welsh, naturally.  Lots of phlegm, from what I
hear - including from a friend who's from Wales. :)

>>> A case of the parts adding to more than the sun of the whoke. :)
>>

> Bloody Adia!
> See what happens when your spellchecker does not work. :(

I understood what you were saying, though. :)

>>> Watch it ot ETA will come to get you. :P
>>
>> LOL, ain't that the truth.  It didn't occur to me that I was speaking
>> Spanish (poorly) when I was in Barcelona, and I thought my Spanish
>> pronunciation was just a little rusty when a shopkeeper couldn't
>> understand me.  So I tried more slowly, and she "understood", and
>> replied full speed to my inquiry, even after it was apparent that I
>> wasn't speaking the same language she was.
>>
>> ¿Tiene libros de fotografías?
>>
>> and
>>
>> Té llibres de fotografies?
>>
>> Are not that far off from each other, but far enough, I think, to
>> inform the native-speaker that responding at native speed wouldn't be
>> helpful - and an answer that involves complex directions to a store
>> elsewhere in the shops probably wasn't going to be understood.
>>

> LOL but the Spanish are a good natured people and are very happy that
> others try to speak Spanish.

Yeah. It's the "Catalonians" who are not as good natured (though, I have
to admit, in almost 2 weeks there, I only ran into the one person who had
a problem with my Spanish - though that might be because I didn't use it
much, and on the cab ride from the airport, the other guy in the cab
spoke fluent Spanish/Catalan, as he'd served an LDS mission in Barcelona,
so I didn't have to talk at all.)

>> I found what I was looking for, eventually, anyways, so no harm done.
>>

> Depend what sort of picture book you were looking for. ^-^

My eldest brother had an control issue that kept him to about a 2-mile
radius of the apartment he lived in at the time; he'd used to like to
travel some until the mid 70s or so, and then he just couldn't - some
kind of phobia.

I thought it'd be nice to get him a book that showed some of Barcelona -
but he didn't speak or read Spanish (or Catalan) at all, so I thought a
nice book of photos would be good. :)

Jim