POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Skyrim : Re: Skyrim Server Time
8 Jul 2024 00:55:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skyrim
From: Stephen
Date: 26 Jan 2016 14:54:25
Message: <56a7cef1$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/26/2016 7:13 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:51:55 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>

>> About 20 years ago I was on a rig where the OIM had been to the funeral
>> of the last Doric, of a certain type, speaker.
>
> I need to find out from Alistair what it is that he speaks.  He said
> there's one other person in the town he lives in who speaks it.
> Fortunately, they get along. :)

Fit like, ma loon?
:)

>>> Welsh actually is one of those languages, as is Irish.  Breton, Scotish
>>> Gaelic, Cornish, and Manx are the other living languages.
>>>

>> Irish, are you talking about Irish Gaelic?
>
> Yes, sorry, I should have been clear on that.

Yeah, it took me a while to understand what you meant.
But coming from somewhere that speaks Lowland Scotts/ Ulster Scots. I am
easily confused. :)

>>> I can't tell you how many people mispronounce my cats' names - which
>>> are Manx Gaelic (and actually, relatively simple names to pronounce).
>>>

>> That supriseses me. :-P
>
> Which part of it?

The part where you missed out what your cat is called. :P

> That they're simple names to pronounce?

Simple if you know how, I would imagine.
It is like the "ch" sound in loch, I can't understand how some people
cannot ronounce it. Badness I assume. ;)

>>> For example, the made-up word 'ghoti' is often used to describe the
>>> idiosyncrasies of English pronunciation.  (The actual pronunciation of
>>> that made-up word is "fish" - gh from 'tough', o from 'women', ti from
>>> 'nation').
>>>

>> A case of the parts adding to more than the sun of the whoke. :)

Bloody Adia!
See what happens when your spellchecker does not work. :(

>> Watch it ot ETA will come to get you. :P
>
> LOL, ain't that the truth.  It didn't occur to me that I was speaking
> Spanish (poorly) when I was in Barcelona, and I thought my Spanish
> pronunciation was just a little rusty when a shopkeeper couldn't
> understand me.  So I tried more slowly, and she "understood", and replied
> full speed to my inquiry, even after it was apparent that I wasn't
> speaking the same language she was.
>
> ¿Tiene libros de fotografías?
>
> and
>
> Té llibres de fotografies?
>
> Are not that far off from each other, but far enough, I think, to inform
> the native-speaker that responding at native speed wouldn't be helpful -
> and an answer that involves complex directions to a store elsewhere in
> the shops probably wasn't going to be understood.

LOL but the Spanish are a good natured people and are very happy that
others try to speak Spanish.

> I found what I was looking for, eventually, anyways, so no harm done.

Depend what sort of picture book you were looking for. ^-^

--

Regards
     Stephen