POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quake II : Re: Quake II Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:40:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quake II
From: scott
Date: 21 Jan 2016 02:55:14
Message: <56a08ee2$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, without a 3D card, there's no texture filtering, and no coloured
> lighting. And with a 233 MHz Pentium I with MMX technology, you had to
> turn the resolution down fairly far to get sane frame rates. So running
> at something like 640x480 with a boarder (remember that feature?), the
> display was *very* grainy.

I think I had a P166 with 16MB RAM ... and then I bought a 3Dfx card for it.

> (Remember Glide?)

It's where I learned 3D graphics programming :-) The separate cards for
2D/3D was actually really useful, as it allowed me to have a TWO SCREEN
setup! IIRC if you didn't open a full-screen window in your program, you
could still use the 2D Windows interface at the same time the 3D was
running on the 3Dfx card. Useful for debugging or providing some simple
Windows-based UI for controlling the 3D.

> Quake II is also the only game I've ever made a map for.

I was a Duke Nukem guy rather than Quake II, I used to waste my summer
holidays with my sister over serial link on that. When we got bored we
made maps - mine were usually full of hidden tunnels and secret ambush
points :-) The editor was very buggy though, and would periodically get
completely corrupted and you'd end up with several walls going through
the middle of all your rooms and extending 32km into the distance. That
was a sure sign it was about to crash and you better reload the last
backup (or the one before that...).