POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: Blobs: Error1:NegativeValues:Holes!/Error2:AlphaValueOverwriting? : Re: Blobs: Error1:NegativeValues:Holes!/Error2:AlphaValueOverwriting? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 09:07:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blobs: Error1:NegativeValues:Holes!/Error2:AlphaValueOverwriting?
From: clipka
Date: 13 Jan 2016 01:22:21
Message: <5695ed1d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.01.2016 um 06:08 schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> During the rendering, my unofficial version crashed. I did a debugging
> with the VS, and post here some of the errors (at the end, in German
> language).

For debugging, you really want to pick "Debug" instead of "Release" from
the combo box up there. It should give you more information about the
problem, and may also take you directly to the offending code.

Also, you want to figure out whether the problem is caused by your
changes (which seems highly unlikely to me, though I wouldn't rule it
out for now), by something breaking your build process, or by something
unrelated to your particular build.

To figure out whether it is your changes that cause the problem should
be easy: Just revert back to the original code, rebuild, then run it in
the same way as before.

To figure out whether it is a problem with your build setup or a more
general issue, I'd recommend trying out the latest semi-official
release, routinely available at
https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases. As the latest build is only
available as a 32 bit version, you'll want to test those (possibly both
the 32-bit and 32-bit SSE2 version), but be aware that if it works fine,
there might still be a fundamental problem with the 64 bit version; in
that case you may also want to check the latest available semi-official
64 bit build, though again if that one works fine there still may be a
64 bit problem introduced later. Thus if all the semi-official builds
work fine, you may still want to ask for futher support, providing us
with the scene that causes the crash.

Also, you may want to do the usual stuff to narrow down the root cause:
Trim down your scene to the minimal set that still reproduces the crash.

FYI, a few days ago during development I did encounter a nasty crash
myself that I couldn't attribute to any specific thing I was messing
with at that time, so I wouldn't be too surprised if you did stumble
across an actual bug in the current master branch.