POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spaceship maneuvering : Re: Spaceship maneuvering Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spaceship maneuvering
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 11 Jan 2016 11:18:58
Message: <5693d5f2@news.povray.org>
Le 2016-01-08 22:52, clipka a écrit :
> Am 09.01.2016 um 00:39 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> I'm building a spaceship in POV-Ray.
>>
>> I think that, normally, you want to put the maneuvering thrusters at the
>> cardinal directions of the spaceship so that you can turn most efficiently.
>>
>> But can you put them at other places too?
>>
>> I mean, instead of just the top/left/bottom/right, can you place
>> additional thrusters around the circumference of the ship?
>
> Certainly you can -- it'll actually be a bit more effective in terms of
> propellant consumption (probably by a factor of about 1.2).

The fuel-saving factor depends on the geometry of your spaceship (more
specifically, its moment of inertia).  And you probably need to take the
occupants' well being in consideration as well*, and not just your fuel
mileage.

For example, if the Millenium Falcon wants to turn right, and only fires
the left-side thruster to turn the ship (minimizing fuel consumption),
it will rotate about an axis (called the "instantaneous center of
zero-velocity") that's somewhere between the central turret and the
cockpit - assuming an uniform mass distribution.  This means the cockpit
will appear to move backwards.  to reduce motion-sickness from the crew,
you would have to fire most thrusters as well, and the left-side ones a
lot more, so that the instantaneous center of zero-velocity is right
undeneath the cockpit, using a lot more fuel.

*Unless, of course, they have Star Trek-like inertial dampers.

Attachments:
Download 'millenium.png' (20 KB)

Preview of image 'millenium.png'
millenium.png