POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spaceship maneuvering : Re: Spaceship maneuvering Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:53:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spaceship maneuvering
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jan 2016 22:53:01
Message: <5690841d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.01.2016 um 00:39 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> I'm building a spaceship in POV-Ray.
>
> I think that, normally, you want to put the maneuvering thrusters at the
> cardinal directions of the spaceship so that you can turn most efficiently.
>
> But can you put them at other places too?
>
> I mean, instead of just the top/left/bottom/right, can you place
> additional thrusters around the circumference of the ship?

Certainly you can -- it'll actually be a bit more effective in terms of
propellant consumption (probably by a factor of about 1.2).

Remember to orient the thrusters tangential to the ship, so that they
can be used not only for translation but also for attitude control.
While flywheel-based mechanisms can /change/ the ship's attitude at no
propellant cost, they are of limited use when it comes to /stabilizing/
the ship.