POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Blobs: Error 1: Negative Values: Holes! / Error 2: Alpha Value Overwriting? : Re: Blobs: Error 1: Negative Values: Holes! / Error2:AlphaValueOverwriting? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 17:00:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blobs: Error 1: Negative Values: Holes! / Error2:AlphaValueOverwriting?
From: clipka
Date: 23 Dec 2015 09:53:37
Message: <567ab571$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.12.2015 um 08:00 schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> This test code still shows the following errors (I just tested):
> - non-textured or hollow ring-shape border errors (negative values)

Here's the news: It /is/ related to numerical precision, though
unfortunately not in the portion that is affected by the "sturm"
keyword. If you scale the whole scene down by a factor of 0.01, those
artifacts disappear entirely.

Also, POV-Ray 3.6 shows the same behaviour, so this is not a simple case
of just figuring out what was accidently changed and amending the new
code accordingly. Instead, it would require someone with a knack for
numerical precision issues to look really closely at the code for a
while, figure out where exactly stuff breaks, and come up with some
smart way of avoiding the issue.

Until then, I would recommend keeping blob sizes in the single-digit
range (after scaling).

> - boxish texture problems in cupola shadow areas on cupolas
> - no dark shadow on lower blob areas (the gray hull has them)

See my other posts.