POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Most Needed: New Shape: Human : Re: Most Needed: New Shape: Human Server Time
3 May 2024 22:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most Needed: New Shape: Human
From: Paolo Gibellini
Date: 16 Dec 2015 04:31:35
Message: <56712f77$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote on 16/12/2015 9.14:
> If I may be so bolt, this cannot be considered as a trivial project at
> all, and one can question the need for such a POV-Ray object (as I have
> already done in the past iirc). I built something like this in the past
> using Moray, as an articulated o'cedar mannequin, but it was only really
> useful in its limited way when used in Moray-built scenes. Otherwise,
> the need for human figures can go from simplified human shapes like
> dolls to elaborate, realistic, figures. All depends on the purpose of
> the artist. And how about clothes? This is a vast area not easily
> tackled indeed within a purely POV-Ray context.
>
> As for me, I am content to use Poser for my humans. It is not cheap but
> does exactly what I want it to do (or almost). Otherwise, DAZ and
> MakeHuman are (for me) second and/or third choice. Those figures are
> very easy to integrate within a POV-Ray scene.

I agree with Thomas. There are a lot of graphical tools which generate
human figures, and they all are imho a bit difficult to use in order to
produce a decent figure. Writing the code without a preview could lead
to frustrating situations.

But I would have in POV-Ray a very simplified figure placer, even more
simple of the one described by Sven: it could be useful to put
mannequins (the POV version of Suzanne?) and get their geometries to be
applied on external objects like Poser, DAZ or MakeHuman.

My two cents.
Paolo