POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Reviving some pov4 discussion : Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:28:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion
From: clipka
Date: 14 Dec 2015 13:59:27
Message: <566f118f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.12.2015 um 09:41 schrieb scott:
>> Please notice, I wrote "If I was crazy".
>>
>> of course C++11/14/17 could be abused with initialiser list in
>> constructor for:
>>
>> scene += Cone( {0,0,0},{0,1,0}, 2);
>>
>> that is just a matter of supported syntax for any language, I took
>> C++, but it would be the same with any other.
>
> I've got a good scene:
>
> scene += Cone( {0,0,0},{0,1,0}, 2);
> std::remove("some important file");
>
> Is there any way to limit what damage a compiled C++ program can do?

Absolutely.

If by "compiled" you really do mean "compiled", it's as easy as
permitting only linkage to a tightly controlled set of libraries, of
which you know that they can't possibly do any harm (which may require
providing a custom runtime library).

If by "compiled" you actually mean "built", i.e. compiled /and/ linked,
it's as "easy" as running the program in a virtual machine.