POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Reviving some pov4 discussion : Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion Server Time
24 Apr 2024 15:02:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 Dec 2015 16:37:32
Message: <566b421c$1@news.povray.org>

Le 11/12/2015 17:43, Dick Balaska a écrit :
> In article <566ae5e5$1@news.povray.org>, ano### [at] anonymousorg
> says...
>>> I think basing things of SVG would be a good idea. I.e. XML +
>>> SMIL + JavaScript.
>>
>> Abso-bloody-lutely not.
>
> I thought the same thing. XML is a bitch to write by hand. Awesome
> for machine generation, though.

writing once xml is not a problem... it's reading it later and trying
to amend it that is really painful.

>> You do need to learn two entirely different languages, XML and
>> JavaScript.
>
> Yeah, but povray is two fused languages now.  The DKBTrace "C" type
> of object definition (which I learned first...) and a perl-ish
> procedural language bolted on top of that.
>
> I thought of JSON when he said XML, but is that really any better
> than what exists? It just replaces the current braces with brackets
> and braces.  One advantage might be, my only complaint about the
> current language is the inconsistent use of semicolons and commas.
> #declare SemicolonRequired=1; #debug "no semicolon here\n" torus {
> 1, 0.1 }	// comma please cone { <0,0,0> 1 <1,1,1> 2 }	// 4 params
> no commas
>
> dik

If I was crazy, I would use C++ and a compiler as the parser, filling
a scene object with other objects... a rendering would be the
interaction of a camera with a scene. The only problem I would
foresee: the dynamic generation of code ... you know, the first part
of the parsing generate an include file to be included later... but do
we really need that ?(I'm afraid someone will want it).

Animation ? well, just a matter of looping...

Povray 3D objects, and all others aspects, just a library within a
dedicated namespace.

usual functions : just native coding.

Remaining problem: new users have to learn C++ and get a C++ compiler,
linking with the povray library.

Povray::Torus obj1(1,0.1);
// texturing can be a post constructor operation
Povray::Cone obj2( Povray::3DVector(0,0,0), 1, Povray::3DVector(), 2);
Povray::Scene take1;
take1 += obj1;
take1 += obj2;