POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : render differences in github/head and 3.7 : Re: render differences in github/head and 3.7 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:48:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: render differences in github/head and 3.7
From: clipka
Date: 10 Dec 2015 06:20:37
Message: <56696005$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.12.2015 um 07:04 schrieb Dick Balaska:
> In article <5668c3c7$1@news.povray.org>, ano### [at] anonymousorg says...
>>
>> If you're worried about the quality of your build, you may want to
>> compare it to the latest semi-official development build of the master
>> branch, which can be found at https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases.
>>
> Qu'est-ce que c'est "quality of the build"?

What is "Qu'est-ce que c'est"?
(just kidding ;))

What I mean is, apparently you've built that "povdos" version yourself,
so there is a (slim) chance that the reason for the differences you're
seeing are not actually due to differences in the code, but due to
differences in the build settings or the build process itself; in other
words, you might have messed up the build somehow.

> 	texture {
> 		pigment {Jade}
> 		finish {
> 			ambient 0.3
> 			reflection 0.05
> 			diffuse 0.7
> 			roughness 0.3
> 		}
> 		scale 5*inches
> 	}
> looks completely different.  It smells like the povdos version is
> ignoring the scale 5*inches.  I definitely have to RCA this.
>
> linux http://www.buckosoft.com/~dick/t/tteo2021.png
> vs.
> povdos http://www.buckosoft.com/~dick/t/tteo2033.png

Just a hunch, but it might be related to the noise generator.

One thing you could try is to set

    global_settings {
        noise_generator 1 // or 2 or 3
    }

and see if that makes the scene look the same with both versions.

Also, some builds of POV-Ray provide a special optimized implementation
of the noise generator on CPUs that support certain AMD instruction set
extensions. Maybe that optimized noise generator doesn't give the same
results as the canonical one.