POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hacknet : Re: Hacknet Server Time
8 Jul 2024 06:48:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hacknet
From: scott
Date: 4 Nov 2015 04:33:15
Message: <5639d0db@news.povray.org>
> Huh. And here I was assuming that Apple would have used only the most
> over-priced hardware components they could source...

As Jim said they will put *a lot* of effort in to sourcing the absolute
lowest price parts they can find that will "work". I suspect either
there was a fault with the display you saw, or they had literally shown
the same image for months on end. IIRC the spec we had for Nokia was
something along the lines of showing a big checkerboard pattern for 24
hours, then switching to a white/black screen and no checkerboard
pattern should be visible after 5 seconds. During development we'd quite
often have screens that failed this test, but then the panel and
electronics often weren't optimised at that stage.

> I just remember spending many days (and nights!) in front of a giant
> Grundig CRT driven by my dad's Commodore 64. If you changed the text
> from the default light blue on a dark blue background to being pure
> white, the display got seriously bent.

Yes, it's PSU not being perfect.

> While we're on the subject, what causes the weird diagonal lines that
> all RF-modulated signals have?

Non-perfect electronics :-)