POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Here be dragons! : Re: Here be dragons! Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:55:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Here be dragons!
From: Stephen
Date: 2 Nov 2015 04:44:09
Message: <56373069@news.povray.org>
On 11/2/2015 8:25 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Strange about that 404. I believe that you can switch dates on the
> Wayback Machine banner and so find the missing chapters. I just did it
> now. Anyway, I downloaded the pages to be certain to have local access.

I tried a date close to the posted one but one of the missing chapters
was still not there. Lost interest, I am afraid.

> Middle English is already easier to read without help indeed.

Indeed it is. I did have a year of Chaucer when I was at school and that
helps.

> I have
> always liked the challenge to try to read old texts, especially in a
> historical settings which attracts me in the first place like the Early
> Medieval period. And I am a bit envious of people like Tolkien who could
> write and speak Old English as if it was his native tongue:

Well I am not an academic and think those things should be left to them
and their ilk. ;-)

> "On ǽrdagum wæs wuniende be norþdǽlum middangeardes sum cyning, þe ángan
> dohtor hæfde. On his húse wæs éac án cniht óþrum ungelíc."

Not from the excerpt you posted but I could pick out more phrases from
the whole story. I don't know if being dyslectic helps or hinders. I
would certainly need a dictionary to go further.

> I hope the special characters will be readable. This the beginning of
> Sellic Spell, a proto-Beowulf tale imagined by Tolkien and written in
> O.E. by him. Can you understand what is written? Note that 'h' is
> gutural aspiration as in German 'ach', and 'y' is 'ü', and some words
> become clear :-)

Yes the characters are readable. It reminds me of an old friend who
could recite Chaucer in a broad Scottish accent. It was much more
understandable when spoken. At least to me.

Talking about old and ancient things and remembering the image you
posted a few years back. Have you read this article?

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32532893

--

Regards
     Stephen