POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Here be dragons! : Re: Here be dragons! Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:44:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Here be dragons!
From: clipka
Date: 1 Nov 2015 20:08:45
Message: <5636b79d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.11.2015 um 23:29 schrieb Stephen:
> On 11/1/2015 10:00 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 01.11.2015 um 14:39 schrieb Stephen:
>>
>>> I could read or at least get the meaning of Modern Dutch on posters and
>>> adverts. Quite hand when travelling by train, I might add.
>>
>> Musing about Dutch and English and German, I'm somehow reminded of a
>> memorial plate on a Dutch church, which reported that the building had
>> suffered heavy damage in the 1940s from "beschieting dor de engelsen".
>>
>> As tragic as the event surely was, for a German with some rudimentary
>> Westphalian language background it can invoke quite humorous
>> associations, as in the Westphalian dialect "Schiet" (spoken "sheet")
>> translates to "shit", and the German "Engel" is "angel"...
>> .... so come again - _what_ happened to the church?! :P
>>

> For starters

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beschieting+dor+de+engelsen%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=QZE2VqH9Mcu7UaH3s_AP#q=%22beschieting+dor+de+engelsen+translate

"Dry firing the English" - yes, that makes more sense... ;)

(Did you know that dry firing is bad for any gun? It can cause the
firing pin to become brittle and possibly fracture. Never, ever, dry
fire anyone else's gun without first asking their permission. And never,
ever, dry fire an Englishman. First make him drink a pint or two, _then_
give him the sack.)