POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Here be dragons! : Re: Here be dragons! Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:02:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Here be dragons!
From: clipka
Date: 1 Nov 2015 17:00:38
Message: <56368b86$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.11.2015 um 14:39 schrieb Stephen:

> I could read or at least get the meaning of Modern Dutch on posters and
> adverts. Quite hand when travelling by train, I might add.

Musing about Dutch and English and German, I'm somehow reminded of a
memorial plate on a Dutch church, which reported that the building had
suffered heavy damage in the 1940s from "beschieting dor de engelsen".

As tragic as the event surely was, for a German with some rudimentary
Westphalian language background it can invoke quite humorous
associations, as in the Westphalian dialect "Schiet" (spoken "sheet")
translates to "shit", and the German "Engel" is "angel"...
... so come again - _what_ happened to the church?! :P