POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF : Re: Today's WTF Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Oct 2015 17:44:21
Message: <563141b5$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 21:27:17 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> Wasn't the world's first "webcam" a camera in some university ward so
> they could watch the coffee pot?

That sounds familiar.  Whether it's true or not, though, I've no idea
offhand.

>> Definitely worth it, IMHO.
>
> Even for somebody who doesn't watch TV?

Do you watch movies?  I hear they have those available as well. ;)

>>> (I'm still puzzled as to why YouTube can actually exist. But that's
>>> another story.)
>>
>> People want to publish videos.  Youtube gives them a platform to do
>> that.
>>
>> And gives Google another platform to push advertising on.
>>
>> It's about that simple, really. :)
>
> No, I mean... why is it possible for one company to ever buy enough
> harddisks to store even 0.01% of the data that YouTube holds? It seems
> like there shouldn't be enough mass storage devices on Earth to hold
> this much data...

And yet there are, so maybe you're not aware either of the totality of
mass storage available in the world, or the way in which the content is
stored in order to account for the amount of data involved.

But that's just a guess. ;)

Jim