POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF : Re: Today's WTF Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 28 Oct 2015 17:27:12
Message: <56313db0$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/10/2015 07:04 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 18:17:38 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> HTTP 418: I'm a teapot.
>> Seriously. There is a defined HTTP status code for interacting with an
>> IoT teapot.
>
> It's funny, yeah - but the history of that error code isn't really IoT,
> more like RFC 1149.  418 was defined in the HTCPCP/1.0 protcool, defined
> in the referenced RFC as an April Fool's day joke in 1998.
>
> It's a fun read.  (Did I mention that I work with a product that secures
> websites, and HTTP geek stuff is what I currently work with daily? ;) )

Wasn't the world's first "webcam" a camera in some university ward so
they could watch the coffee pot?

>>> The idea of on-demand programming was something I was first introduced
>>> to by someone who worked at NBC back in the mid 90's as well.  He
>>> described pretty much what we see now with Netflix and other
>>> streaming/on-demand video services.
>>
>> Some day, maybe I'll try that.
>
> Definitely worth it, IMHO.

Even for somebody who doesn't watch TV?

>> (I'm still puzzled as to why YouTube can actually exist. But that's
>> another story.)
>
> People want to publish videos.  Youtube gives them a platform to do that.
>
> And gives Google another platform to push advertising on.
>
> It's about that simple, really. :)

No, I mean... why is it possible for one company to ever buy enough
harddisks to store even 0.01% of the data that YouTube holds? It seems
like there shouldn't be enough mass storage devices on Earth to hold
this much data...