POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF : Re: Today's WTF Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Oct 2015 15:04:07
Message: <56311c27$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 18:17:38 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 28/10/2015 06:06 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> But in technology, I see this all the time - IoT isn't a new thing,
>> really - I remember seeing networked coffee makers, VCRs, and microwave
>> ovens back in the 90's.  It didn't catch on then, but the demo was
>> pretty cool.
>
> HTTP 418: I'm a teapot.
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2324
>
> Seriously. There is a defined HTTP status code for interacting with an
> IoT teapot.

It's funny, yeah - but the history of that error code isn't really IoT,
more like RFC 1149.  418 was defined in the HTCPCP/1.0 protcool, defined
in the referenced RFC as an April Fool's day joke in 1998.

It's a fun read.  (Did I mention that I work with a product that secures
websites, and HTTP geek stuff is what I currently work with daily? ;) )

>> The idea of on-demand programming was something I was first introduced
>> to by someone who worked at NBC back in the mid 90's as well.  He
>> described pretty much what we see now with Netflix and other
>> streaming/on-demand video services.
>
> Some day, maybe I'll try that.

Definitely worth it, IMHO.

> Ah, who am I kidding? I'll just sit here surfing YouTube...
>
> (I'm still puzzled as to why YouTube can actually exist. But that's
> another story.)

People want to publish videos.  Youtube gives them a platform to do that.

And gives Google another platform to push advertising on.

It's about that simple, really. :)

Jim