POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF : Re: Today's WTF Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF
From: Stephen
Date: 28 Oct 2015 14:51:12
Message: <56311920$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/28/2015 6:08 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> I often wonder... like, how much did [famous obsolete computer] actually
> cost? What did it physically look like? What were its technical
> capabilities? It's very hard to gather a general overview of this type
> of data.

PDP-8	1965	$18,500	12 	~50,000	The smallest and least expensive PDP

http://homepage.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/pdp8/faqs/

> For that matter, how many FLOPS can you get out of an Inter Core i7? I
> have absolutely no idea; it seems very hard to find data for this...

So it is.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/262886-28-core-gflops-benchmark

>> Funnily enough. His project reminded me of you. Did you not once write
>> programs in PostScript or Printer Command Language?
>
> PostScript. And it wasn't *once*. ;-)
>
> Actually, I did start trying to write a PostScript *interpreter*, to
> make debugging this stuff easier! It turns out the language has a lot
> more edge-cases than you'd think though...

One edge-case is more than I ken.
I would ask what an edge-case is but then you would say that I can't
Google. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen