POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF : Re: Today's WTF Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 28 Oct 2015 14:11:07
Message: <56310fbb@news.povray.org>
>> That raises the question. If Pov will not contemplate using a GPU. How
>> about using a printer to do some calculations? :-P

Oh God, think of the massacre...! O_O

> Using the printer as a coprocessor is a rather moot idea, unless you
> also include a scanner in the system design; there's no other way to get
> data from the printer back into the computer.

You know, PostScript does actually have file I/O capabilities. Sure,
I've never seen any system that actually *implements* them... but it
literally does have commands for reading and writing files, doing
terminal access, etc.

> You /could/ of course make a PostScript printer do some raytracing
> entirely on its own. But I was a bit disappointed by the computing
> performance of the printer I once used for generating a printout of the
> Mandelbrot set, so I'll probably not pursue this project any further...

The last printer I looked at was powered by a 200 MHz Pentium II. This
was in the days when the Pentium IV was considered obsolete... (We all
know parts never stop being used, they just move down the food chain.)