POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF : Re: Today's WTF Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF
From: Stephen
Date: 28 Oct 2015 10:41:47
Message: <5630deab$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/28/2015 1:11 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 28.10.2015 um 13:07 schrieb Stephen:
>
>>> I for one wouldn't use 7400-family chips anyway, and instead go for a
>>> CPLD (or, more likely, a collection thereof). Makes it much easier to
>>> make minor design changes even after the circuitry has been wired.
>>
>> How about a LM8560? Or if you want to push the boat out and spend USD 4
>> http://www.ecyberspaces.com/productsview.asp?id=3179
>
> Nah, I'm talking about re-inventing the computer here, not throwing
> together a device intended to be mistaken for a suitcase bomb.

That thought had crossed my mind too. When I worked on the rigs I got
the job of replacing all the batteries in the Bed Head Units every year.
(A bad job given to me by a small minded boss. Little did he think that
it gave me carte blanche to order hundreds of AA batteries and the
opportunity to skive in the accommodation module for days on end. That
showed me who was boss. :-) )

>> That raises the question. If Pov will not contemplate using a GPU. How
>> about using a printer to do some calculations? :-P
>
> Using the printer as a coprocessor is a rather moot idea, unless you
> also include a scanner in the system design; there's no other way to get
> data from the printer back into the computer.

No problem for me there. :-)

> You /could/ of course make a PostScript printer do some raytracing
> entirely on its own. But I was a bit disappointed by the computing
> performance of the printer I once used for generating a printout of the
> Mandelbrot set, so I'll probably not pursue this project any further...
>
> Also, I guess we won't get real-time raytracing capabilities out of a
> printer anytime soon ;)

I did not think that it would be a runner. ;)
It takes forever for my printer to start printing after I've sent a page
over WiFi.

But good to know that the IoT will sometime be a rendering farm.

--

Regards
     Stephen