POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF : Re: Today's WTF Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF
From: clipka
Date: 28 Oct 2015 09:11:18
Message: <5630c976$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.10.2015 um 13:07 schrieb Stephen:

>> I for one wouldn't use 7400-family chips anyway, and instead go for a
>> CPLD (or, more likely, a collection thereof). Makes it much easier to
>> make minor design changes even after the circuitry has been wired.
>
> How about a LM8560? Or if you want to push the boat out and spend USD 4
> http://www.ecyberspaces.com/productsview.asp?id=3179

Nah, I'm talking about re-inventing the computer here, not throwing
together a device intended to be mistaken for a suitcase bomb.

>>> Funnily enough. His project reminded me of you. Did you not once write
>>> programs in PostScript or Printer Command Language?
>>
>> PostScript is fun! Especially since it comes with high-resolution
>> graphics output fully integrated ;)
>
> That raises the question. If Pov will not contemplate using a GPU. How
> about using a printer to do some calculations? :-P

Using the printer as a coprocessor is a rather moot idea, unless you
also include a scanner in the system design; there's no other way to get
data from the printer back into the computer.

You /could/ of course make a PostScript printer do some raytracing
entirely on its own. But I was a bit disappointed by the computing
performance of the printer I once used for generating a printout of the
Mandelbrot set, so I'll probably not pursue this project any further...

Also, I guess we won't get real-time raytracing capabilities out of a
printer anytime soon ;)