POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF : Re: Today's WTF Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:33:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 26 Oct 2015 15:05:38
Message: <562e7982$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/10/2015 06:46 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Isn't there a violation of design ? Would Amstrad not sue ?

Surely they bought the rights to do this. Otherwise there's a wide range
of trademark and copyright violations. Some rip-off company in China
might do that, but a commercial product like this is almost surely licensed.

> The interesting part of the spectrum was the video output (PAL), the
> expansion bus, and the tape facility. So far, all of them are missing
> from the recreation.

But it has Wi-Fi!

(Seriously, what the heck is that for?)

> How do you display ? (Pal is dead, and there is no display connector)

I might be wrong, but the "5V DC" connector looks *suspiciously* like an
HDMI port. (Or maybe it's micro-USB?)

> How do you print ?
>
> How do you save&  load ?

WiFi, I guess?

(Wait, you can *print* from a Spectrum? I never knew that!)

> and IIRC, the keyboard (on membrane/printed circuit) was the weakest
> point of the sinclair (with age, they become brittle and break when
> you open the machine). That, and with usage, the gum of the keyboard
> loose the print on it if you clean it too hard.

I don't know, I quite liked that keyboard, and the little click noise it
used to make when you type stuff...

...wait, scrub that. I just remembered what it was like to *type*
anything! But still, it's arguably the single most memorable feature.

> Back to the recreation: it's only a keyboard, you need a real
> bluetooth device with a display... and you cannot even connect the old
> joystick to it either.

Oh, really? Wow, that's poor. Especially at such a price... You could
find a *real* one for less on ebay or whatever.