POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gravitation : Re: Gravitation Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gravitation
From: Stephen
Date: 20 Oct 2015 11:24:11
Message: <56265c9b@news.povray.org>
On 10/19/2015 10:06 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 19.10.2015 um 19:44 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 10/19/2015 3:06 PM, clipka wrote:
>>> and Earth's surface
>>> accelerating radially from its center at 9.81 m/s^2.
>>
>> I know it is the psilocybin mushroom season but I thought I was the old
>> hippy who had taken mind bending substances (in the past, I might add in
>> case PC Plod is listening).
>> You have lost it dear friend.
>> You have lost it.
>
> Just following Einstein's train of thoughts. No shrooms growing there.

Pity cause they would go well with the potatoes in my ears. :-)

> Whatever frame of reference you choose - if it is truly inertial, you'll
> always find the apple (while airborne) moving at constant velocity (or
> remaining at rest, which is a special case thereof),

Assuming that you are not trying to wind me up.
What are your reasons for saying that? If your frame of reference was
the apple I would agree with you. But I was talking about a frame of
reference separate from both of the objects.

> and Earth's surface
> accelerating radially from its center at 9.81 m/s^2.

To me that reads that the Earth's surface (and volume) is expanding.
Something I personally haven't noticed.

Since we are talking about speeds of metres per second I assume we can
dismiss any relativistic effects.

Can you explain why a force of one Newton acting on a mass of 5.97E+24
Kg can produce an acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2?
I make it 0.000000000000000000000000167504 m/s^2

> (As long as you
> ignore aerodynamic drag and remain sufficiently close to Earth's surface
> and the apple, that is.)

Granted.

--

Regards