POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet technology : Re: Tablet technology Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:06:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tablet technology
From: scott
Date: 19 Oct 2015 11:28:53
Message: <56250c35$1@news.povray.org>
> Like many people [that was sarcasm], I have a graphing calculator. I'm
> pretty sure it's powered by a Z80, and it has an awful 160x120 LCD. You
> can "program" it, in that you can write a macro that opens menu pages in
> a specific order. (WTF is the point of that, BTW?)
>
> I keep thinking to myself "man, if only this had an actual programming
> language on it. It's already a hand-held computer, if only I could write
> code on this thing!"

I still have a TI-86 somewhere gathering dust. That had a BASIC
interpreter built-in. Somehow IIRC we also had a version of Mario
running on it, I assume you could also run assembler on it somehow.

In fact I wrote a simple "shoot the target" type game in BASIC for a
piece of GCSE Maths coursework. It showed you a target (a pixel) on the
right edge of the screen, and you had to enter an angle and speed to
fire an arrow (another pixel) to hit it. I learnt two important lessons
doing that. Firstly to test your program with sufficiently varied input
before releasing it, and secondly that 45 radians roughly equals 45
degrees (mod 360).