POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gravitation : Re: Gravitation Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gravitation
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Oct 2015 10:29:19
Message: <5623acbf$1@news.povray.org>
>>  Makes sense.
>
> No, no - not at all.

Sorry, I was in a rush and forgot the "Like Hell it does" icon.

> What happens is that Earth, by virtue of having mass, gobbles up space
> inside and around it. Always. Constantly. Whether there are any apples
> out there or not. (So does the apple, but that's negligible compared to
> Earth's dietary budget.) There's no acceleration or even movement
> involved there /per se/ - in the vicinity of matter, distances just
> shrink over time. Fast.
>
> If it was only for this mechanism, earth would shrivel to nothingness in
> a matter of... minutes? hours? Dunno, but certainly in less than a day.
> Space between the elementary particles would just shrink to zero.
>
> Fortunately, electromagnetic force comes to our rescue: The electron
> clouds of any two atoms in the universe repel each other. Partially this
> is compensated by the fact that the electron clouds of any atom  in the
> universe also attracts the nucleus of any other atom, but on average the
> net EM force is repelling. And there are a lot of atoms in the Earth. So
> the atoms making up earth constantly accelerate away from each other.
> Earth is exploding.

To my untutored eyes* that sounds* like stability.

Getting my metaphors a bit mixed. I know.

> Whoosh.
>
> We're riding an explosion that is the only thing standing between us and
> the formation of a black hole.

An explosion with an average velocity of 0 m/s?
Scary.

> Also, think of this: If you throw an apple, it moves through space in a
> /straight/ line - any apparent curvature of its trajectory is due to
> Earth's surface constantly accelerating upwards. Not towards the apple
> but away from Earth's center. In a lump of space that's busy shrinking.

If you say so. But consider using another inertial frame of reference.
One that contains both the Earth and the apple. Which object, the Earth
or the apple, travels a greater distance in the same time frame?
I hazard a guess that it will be the apple that has the greater velocity
and thus acceleration.

Sorry, I wuz an enjuneer.

--

If you eat chocolate that you did not want to eat. Then it does not
count as chocolate.

Sir Terry P.