POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 80 / 20 rule : Re: 80 / 20 rule Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:06:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 80 / 20 rule
From: clipka
Date: 18 Oct 2015 06:25:55
Message: <562373b3@news.povray.org>
Am 18.10.2015 um 12:03 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> On 18/10/2015 11:00 AM, clipka wrote:
>> I would suspect that a fully /ANSI-compliant/ C compiler isn't really
>> that big of a deal to implement, given how much stuff in the standard is
>> explicitly "implementation specific" or "undefined".
>>
>> Writing a C compiler that meets common /expectations/ about the C
>> language, now that would be an entirely different thing.
>
> I am not enough of a C expert to comment definitively. Implementing C++
> sounds nightmarishly hard! (Template metaprogramming, anyone?)

Implementing C++ quite certainly /is/ nightmarishly hard. Implementing
C, not so much.

> And yet, since these are both extremely popular languages, there's
> thousands of implementations...

C, yes. C++, not so much. And I'd suspect the number of actively
maintained families of C++ compilers is actually dwindling as gcc is
ported to more and more platforms.

BTW, did you know that C++ was initially a metaprogramming language for C?