POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gravitation : Re: Gravitation Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:35:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gravitation
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Oct 2015 02:03:19
Message: <56233627@news.povray.org>
On 10/18/2015 3:44 AM, clipka wrote:
> Einstein's General Theory of Relativity is nearly a hundred years old by
> now, but I think it is only now, in the age of YouTube, that a
> fundamental understanding starts seeping into common knowledge of what
> the theory /really/ means.
>
> For instance, according to the General Theory of Relativity,
> gravitational pull is caused by the curvature of spacetime. That's what
> it says, isn't it? Right?
>
> Err... nope.
>
> What the General Theory of Relativity /really/ says is that there is /no
> such thing/ as gravitational pull. To the contrary: What really makes
> you stick to the ground is not a force pushing /you/ /down/, but a force
> pushing /the ground/ /up/. More specifically, the electromagnetic forces
> between the atoms of the earth push it apart with such a force that the
> ground races upward at an acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2 - and all the while
> the fabric of space near and at earth just contracts at an equivalent
> rate, shriveling like the surface of a punctured balloon, so that the
> effective distance between the atoms never gets any bigger despite their
> accelerated motion through space.
>
> I had been pondering this for a few days now, when I stumbled across
> this video which I think gets the idea across quite well:
>
> https://youtu.be/NblR01hHK6U

So we should think that instead of the Earth attracting the apple with a
force of, say, 1.0 N. The apple attracts the Earth with a force of
5.86E+25 N. Makes sense.

You know, I find it hard to give any credence to someone who talks so
fast. A sure sign that they are trying to put one over on you. IMO

Mass of an "average" apple = 0.102 Kg
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/WaiWingLeung.shtml

Mass of the Earth = 5.97E+24 Kg
(Google)