POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Display technology : Re: Display technology Server Time
6 Oct 2024 04:10:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Display technology
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 15 Oct 2015 13:44:26
Message: <561fe5fa$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/10/2015 03:25 PM, scott wrote:
> In my old job we used to develop displays for Nokia (back when they were
> #1)

o_O

They aren't still?!

Oh... Right... I keep forgetting the iPhone.

> The way it worked is
> that you "sold" your capability to one of the platform display teams
> within Nokia, they then marketed it on your behalf to the rest of the
> business that was actually developing the handsets.

Wow. That sounds crazy. They had an entire department who's only purpose
was to evangelise stuff to the departments who actually make stuff?

> Things like touch screens and
> ultra high ppi screens started off in these meetings, but they were
> convinced there was no need for these and instead concentrated on trying
> to push OLED displays. Then Apple brought out the iPhone...

Heh. When one company can actually change the direction of an entire
industry. Or create a whole new one. Like the Raspberry Pi seems to have
done...

Whatever happened to OLED anyway? And flexible displays? The world seems
to have stopped caring...