POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Display technology : Re: Display technology Server Time
6 Oct 2024 04:11:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Display technology
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 14 Oct 2015 13:03:55
Message: <561e8afb$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/10/2015 09:04 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 10/13/2015 8:17 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> [Rant] I remember when Maplin used to sell electronics. Now they're just
>> a white-box shifting company. You used to be able to go in and just
>> *buy* a string of 30 resistors or something. Now they're all like "oh,
>> you want 10? Ooo, we'll have to order those in specially. We only have 4
>> in stock." WTF?
>
> Funnily enough, I went into Maplins yesterday and bought 10 of 20 mm
> 6.3ma slow blow fuses, off the shelf. (As an after thought)

A while ago, I wanted a set of 10 LEDs. They could only sell me 4 of the
same type, or a bag of 20 randomly assorted LEDs (all different sizes
shapes, colours, power ratings...)

I guess most people probably just buy that stuff online now, so there's
little incentive for Maplin to actually stock it. (I'm not sure who the
big names in online component shopping are, however...)