POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Display technology : Re: Display technology Server Time
8 Jul 2024 04:41:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Display technology
From: clipka
Date: 14 Oct 2015 06:26:38
Message: <561e2dde$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.10.2015 um 21:17 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:

> OK. So what's the difference between the silver ones and the purple ones?

The colour ;)

No, seriously - the silver ones are the "reflective" type, designed to
use ambient light for illumination (sometimes exclusively, sometimes
with an optional "backlight" for situations where ambient light is too
low), while the purple ones are of the "transmissive" type, designed to
be always used with a backlight (usually dot matrix with active-white
pixels).

> 2. I didn't know this kind of disassembly was legal. I thought Apple
> would try to sue you for distributing trade-secret information.

The whole idea of trade secrets is that you keep them secret /because/
you can't sue anyone if the information gets out into the wild.

Also, there is no way you can prohibit anyone from reverse-engineering
your inventions unless you make them sign a non-disclosure agreement.
For instance, once you have legally obtained a copy of a piece of
software, you can freely reverse-engineer it as long as you don't accept
the EULA (which in most cases means you can't install it, so you'll need
to reverse-engineer the installer as well).

What you often /can/ prohibit is the /use/ of the intellectual property
someone has reverse-engineered from your product.

> 8. Qualcomm manufactured my lawn mower. They make silicon too? WTF?

I didn't know they made lawn mowers.