POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Display technology : Re: Display technology Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:51:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Display technology
From: scott
Date: 12 Oct 2015 08:02:09
Message: <561ba141$1@news.povray.org>
>> So you've got a total cost of $13 or $14 depending on how many
>> switches you use. If you're expecting to sell a million toasters, using
>> one less switch will make you $1m more profit :-)
>
> Another way of looking at it is that if you add another switch you can
> charge more. So if you increase the price of a toaster by $10 and add a
> switch that cuts out one heating element to toast bagels on one side
> only. For a million units you make an extra $9 million profit.

Yes, and I guess that's why most manufacturers will have several
different models so that no matter how much you are willing to spend
they will still maximise their profit :-)

BTW I was just in Tescos and the cheapest toaster was £4.50. So maybe my
estimates of part costs easrlier were a little high.