POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Display technology : Display technology Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:54:49 EDT (-0400)
  Display technology
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 11 Oct 2015 07:20:30
Message: <561a45fe$1@news.povray.org>
So now I'm wondering about different types of LCD.

At the bottom end, you have those silver ones they put in calculators.
Usually a 7-segment one. I have a graphing calculator somewhere with a
dot matrix LCD, but still silver, with no greyscale capability.

I'm wondering... Is there a specific *name* for this type of LCD? What
does it cost to put one of these into your product? Like, if you're
buying a couple of thousand of those things, what's the unit price? How
much circuitry does it take to drive it?

At the other end of the scale, you have the stupid-DPI full-colour
back-lit LCDs with touch sensitivity that they put into every mobile
phone, ever. What do *those* things cost? I'm guessing you need way,
*way* more hardware to drive it. (An entire framebuffer, for starters...)

I've heard it said that on "most" electronic devices, the buttons and
lights are the most expensive part. As in, removing one button or one
indicator light is a significant cost saving. So a toaster with three
buttons is "much" more expensive to make than the same toaster with only
two buttons. I'm not sure why this is; presumably because it's awkward
to assemble a mechanical switch? (I.e., you have to have an extra step
where a machine inserts all the moving parts into the right places.) I'd
be interested if anybody has numbers.

I'm just wondering... High-colour LCDs are in even cheap phones now, so
the LCD itself can't be all that expensive. So why don't more devices
have these displays? For example, at the gym, the treadmill has a
7-segment LED display, and three buttons for cycling through the menues
and selecting the option you want.

So you've got this huge black slab of plastic, with a tiny, tiny little
display in the middle. Why not just replace the entire thing with an LCD
touch-screen? I mean, you damn well *know* there's a microcontroller in
there. (Something has to drive the complex, unintuitive menu system!)
You could show all the statistics *at once*, without having to scroll
through them. (And in metric and imperial too.) You could show all the
available programs at once, and a single touch would choose one. It
would be drastically easier to use, and it would look hip and modern.
(I.e., people would totally buy it.)

Naturally, a full-colour multi-touch LCD costs more than a 7-segment LED
display. But then, you *know* a quality treadmill that's going into a

expensive than that. In terms of material cost, it should be negligible.

probably a more realistic comparison in terms of size.)

What *will* cost money, of course, is the cost of changing a product
you're already making. Like, if you already make this thing, and people
are already buying it, why change it?

I don't know if you knew, but a *huge* amount of lab equipment is like
this. We had a temperature monitoring system. It could *only*
communicate by RS-232. So we enquired about the networked version... It
turns out this consists of an RS-232 to Ethernet adaptor, and then some
software on your PC which makes the antiquated Windows 3.1 control
software think that the remove RS-232 port is actually local.

Seriously, not only did the company not spend $1 adding an Ethernet port
to the product itself, it also didn't bother to update its utterly
ancient control software. When we upgraded to Windows XP, it stopped
working, because it assumes that every user will have write permission
to the C:\WINDOWS folder (which is here it stores TempConfig.ini, which
has all its settings). It took me 20 minutes to figure out (mostly by
*guessing*) which file it couldn't access, and manually tweak the file
permissions. Seriously, they didn't even need to update the *software*,
just fixing the *installer* would have been enough. But noooo...

(Did I mention the software comes on a CD-ROM, which contains four
folders named "DISK1", "DISK2", "DISK3" and "DISK4", each of which is
almost *exactly* 1.44MB in size. Hmm...)

Then again, maybe it's not the manufacturer we ought to be mad at. When
a lab has a validated process for doing something, if you were to
*change* that process, you would have to revalidate everything. This
causes massive, massive inertia to change. This is why 100% of all lab
equipment uses RS-232, and floppy disks and dot matrix printers are
ubiquitous. (Also, *our* lab has nowhere near enough money; I don't know
if that's common to all labs, or just ours. I imagine it's not
*uncommon*...)

One time, we validated a new release of a program, and upgraded all our
stuff. Then we found some really bad bugs in the software. I installed
the hotfix, and we found it fixed all the problems. And then I had to go
*uninstall* the hotfix, because it is not validated. So real bugs that
are causing real problems and real lost productivity could not be fixed
because nobody did the magic "validation" dance. Sad, really...

I'm sorry, what was I talking about? Oh, yeah, LCDs. How come (for
example) my washing machine doesn't have one? I've only ever seen them
on the most expensive ultra-luxury models. Surely this stuff isn't
actually that expensive to manufacture anymore?