POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting friend suggestion : Re: Interesting friend suggestion Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:05:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting friend suggestion
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 28 Sep 2015 10:04:07
Message: <560948d7$1@news.povray.org>

> Facebook just suggested a "Christoph Lipka" as someone I might know.  Well yes,
> I've communicated on-line with someone by that name, but I wouldn't go so far as
> to say that I /know/ him.  Besides, whoever that person is who was suggested, he
> doesn't have any public info on his profile.  I have no way of knowing whether
> or not he is our clipka.
>
> How would Facebook know anyway?

Facebook knows a Christopher Lipka who has your e-mail address in his
address book.  Or vice-versa.  One of the two has allowed FB to persuse
his local address book (probably with a mobile app, where these things
tend to happen without our knowledge)

I am not on Facebook, and never have been, but about once a year, I get
an invitation with a "list of people you may know" that includes half my
family, folks from here, work and other online places I frequent.