POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Semantics? : Re: Semantics? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 04:39:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Semantics?
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 18 Sep 2015 13:22:51
Message: <55fc486b$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/09/2015 02:24 PM, scott wrote:
> Yes, typically % is defined as % of some (obvious) maximum. Defining CPU
> load as a % of only 1 core being fully loaded seems a bit
> counter-intuitive. But so long as everyone is aware of this, and they
> know exactly how many cores are in the CPU then it shouldn't be a huge
> problem. If we didn't know there were 8 cores, 800% could mean anything.

The fun part is when you have 4 cores with hyperthreading, and a task
manages to consume more than 800% CPU...

In other news, the Windows "Process Explorer" tool considers my computer
to have 8 physical cores, when in fact it has 4 cores with 2x
hyperthreading. Which means that maximum utilisation is reported as 50%...