POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions for a while. : Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions forawhile. Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:08:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions forawhile.
From: Stephen
Date: 12 Sep 2015 08:57:20
Message: <55f42130$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/12/2015 12:28 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> That one is one of my memories too.
>> I did not read many magazines by the time the American ones got to
>> Glasgow they would be in batches several months late. The British
>> magazines would be difficult to find. It was mostly library books that
>> kept me going.
>>
> I really got started on SF when I moved to Amsterdam in '66 where I
> discovered Analog and began collecting SF books. Iirc Analog was the
> only magazine available in stores; others (no UK) were either not there
> or only irregularly.

I was about ten when I found Kemlo the space cadet. I have been hooked
ever since. Glasgow being a port, would get pallets of American Pulp
Fiction that had been used as ballast. They were sold in "Second hand
bookshops" where you could return them and get back half of what you
paid. They were really subscription libraries for American genre
fiction. Cowboy, WWII stories, Romantic and SF. These shops were always
in poor parts of town, near either a railway station or the docks.

--

Regards
     Stephen