POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions for a while. : Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions forawhile. Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:28:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions forawhile.
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 12 Sep 2015 03:31:46
Message: <55f3d4e2$1@news.povray.org>
On 12-9-2015 0:03, Stephen wrote:
> On 9/11/2015 9:23 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 11.09.2015 um 22:06 schrieb Stephen:
>>
>>> Which reminded me of a story by Harry Harrison* called Toy shop.
>>> http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22966
>>
>> Now /that's/ what I call true genius...
>>

> It has stuck with me for about 50 years.
> I don't know whether it was my age or if there were a lot more "make you
> think" short stories. It was like a sub-sub-genre with points for
> brevity. You have probably read Knock. The shortest SF story. If not:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock_%28short_story%29

Somehow, now that you mention it, this sub-sub-genre seems to have
totally vanished from the shelves. A pity; it was most enjoyable.

Which reminds me of the following story by Damon Knight: "To Serve Man"
http://perrylocal.org/mostova/files/2011/09/To-Serve-Man.pdf
Like you, it stuck with me since the 1960's. I first read it in French
translation, in the now legendary magazine /Planète/.

--
Thomas