POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rift! : Re: Rift! Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:55:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rift!
From: Stephen
Date: 10 Sep 2015 03:41:16
Message: <55f1341c$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/10/2015 7:59 AM, scott wrote:
>>> I don't use the keyboard whilst racing, I've got all the buttons on the
>>> wheel mapped to do whatever I need during a race, and they're fine to
>>> use by feel alone.
>>
>> That is good. I thought that in racing cars there would be levers to
>> pull, fuel levels and suspension to balance etc.
>
> Depends on the car. The sort of basic cars I drive don't have any in-car
> settings for the driver to fiddle with. However you can adjust things
> like how much fuel is put in and whether to replace tyres etc at the
> next pit-stop.
>
> FWIW this is the wheel I've got:
>
> https://secure.img-shopto.net/ShopToMedia/images/media/boxart/PS4AC178/Large.png
>

> There's enough flexibility there to scroll through the menus in-car,
> although depending on the track you may only have a few seconds to
> fiddle with that stuff each lap, so it might take 3 or 4 laps to finally
> change something!

That's changed my understanding of motor racing games. The last time I
tried one was in nineteen canteen. ;-)
IIRC it was more a simulator in the flight simulator mode. More settings
and controls than you could shake a stick at.

To me your wheel implies that it is more FUN to play or drive than what
I thought it would be.

--

Regards
     Stephen